We are settling into quite a routine since school started. Every morning I let the boys watch a little bit of a movie from the time they finish breakfast until we need to catch the bus. The first week or so of school the morning movie was 'The Rise of the Guardians'. There is a part in the movie where North (aka Santa Clause) says 'We are very busy bringing joy to children - we don't have time for children." If I'm not careful this can sometimes be my life as a mom - I can get busy making plans and buying gifts, preparing for an incredible adventure or memory. It is a good reminder that there isn't anything more important than the actual time I spend investing in my kids. I also think this quote can be applied to the church. Sometimes we get so busy creating programs and grands schemes and forget that what really matters is the relationships we have with people. We are so busy caring for people that we don't have time for them.
This weekend we have been celebrating two years as a family. It is a little earlier that we celebrated last year but seeing as it is labor day and we had an extra day to play with new toys I figured we would take advantage. I began the tradition last year of giving the boys some gifts to celebrate Davis Day - a digital scrapbook of memories from the past year, a book with some connection to Ethiopia (this year Mulatu got 'Jesus in Ethiopia' and Nate got 'With two Hands - Stories of God at work in Ethiopia'), some stamps from Ethiopia and something fun (this year it was their own Kindle Fire and the Disney Infinity Wii Game). We also all get to blow out a candle representing the number of years as a family. Today we went to Louisville and ate some Ethiopian food at the Queen of Sheba and then played games, mini bowled and jumped on the inflatables and obstacle course at Incredible Dave's. We finished with a great meal at Claudia Sanders. It was a wonderful celebration of the love and beauty that is our family.
Before we headed to church this morning - Nate was playing the new Disney game - going through the Incredibles level. Mulatu and I took it upon ourselves to coach him. We were telling him that if he would bust the boxes he would get more coins - He replies - "I'm trying to save people here, not get some money." What a great quote! So simple yet so profound - I hope that when I look back at my life I can feel that that is how I played this game of life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment